Thursday, November 24, 2011

20 Books Post-Evangelicals Should Read

A lot of these lists have been going around because of a recently published book called 25 Books Every Christian Should Read.  It's a nice list, and worth checking out.  But if you know me, you know I'm a big fan of lists - so how could I resist from making my own?  My list will only focus on more recent books, while most other lists have gone deeper into the tradition, from Irenaeus on up.  Furthermore, my list is a bit shorter and these books are significant for me within a particular context - or theological trajectory, if you will.

The list includes a number of books that have been significant on my spiritual journey, including some that I don't fully resonate with anymore but continue to be grateful that I encountered them when I did.  Other books on this list I simply consider essential reading, and a handful of these books even represent some of my favorite books that I came across at grad school.  But let me be clear: while some of these books would be in my 'favorite books of all-time' list, certainly not all of them would.  I begin with more evangelical texts and increasingly move more progressive.  As such, these are not arranged in order of importance.
  1. The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis (1946)
  2. The Openness of God by Clark Pinnock, et al. (1994)
  3. The Inescapable Love of God by Thomas Talbott (1999)
  4. The Politics of Jesus by John Howard Yoder (1972)
  5. Just Peacemaking edited by Glen Stassen (1992)
  6. Theology and the Kingdom of God by Wolfhart Pannenberg (1969)
  7. A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren (2004)
  8. The Way of Jesus Christ by Jurgen Moltmann (1989)
  9. The Nature of Love: A Theology by Thomas Jay Oord (2010)
  10. Salvations: Truth and Difference in Religion by S. Mark Heim (1995)
  11. The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions by Marcus Borg & N.T. Wright (1999)
  12. God After Darwin: A Theology of Evoluton by John Haught (2000)
  13. Jesus the Liberator by Jon Sobrino (1994)
  14. She Who Is by Elizabeth Johnson (1992)
  15. How (Not) To Speak of God by Peter Rollins (2006)
  16. The Predicament of Belief by Philip Clayton & Steven Knapp (2011)
  17. Christ in a Pluralistic Age by John B. Cobb, Jr. (1975)
  18. The Powers That Be by Walter Wink (1999) 
  19. The Fall to Violence: Original Sin in Relational Theology by Marjorie Suchocki (1995)
  20. God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now by John Dominic Crossan (2007)

1 comment:

  1. You are a student at Drew, you like Pinnock and Tillich. You remind me of another theologian who obtained two Ph.Ds at Drew, and also is the author of Beyond Born Again. I think you'd enjoy reading it, especially if you have a conservative evangelical past like the author:

    http://infidels.org/library/modern/robert_price/beyond_born_again/

    ReplyDelete